20 February 2012

Some Astounding Numbers

Happy Presidents' Day

I have already completed one conference call today, one more to go. As I was catching up on the hundreds of emails over the weekend I found a couples of numbers I thought were really amazing. The first being only ONE optometrist in the entire state completed the EHR meaningful use and received his stimulus money.  Personally I am tied up in a PECOS credentialing nightmare but I hope this number rises over the year.

I participated in an EHR conference call Friday over lunch with a representative of the state and she was curious as to the hurdles OD's encountered. Stating the obvious.. I mentioned cost, fear, and  too many software choices. She was quite surprised I have been using EHR for 7 years.

As you know, health insurance exchanges and stand alone plan's have been taking up the majority of our legislative efforts over this session. Tracie and her committee have spent countless hours on calls and emails.  Along with Jennifer Levy our new legislative liaison  put out an e-blast Friday with all the latest information we have to educate our members.  Care to take a guess at how many members opened the email?

Only 40%... I find this amazing.   I ask that you at least look at the work we are doing.

Another number to consider.. the Utah Optometric Association spent over $100,000 fighting a bill 1800 Contacts put forth that would allow a kiosk with an autorefraction to be an eye exam. They were successful in defeating the bill.  Makes me wonder if  we had such a bill hit in Maryland what we would do... FYI.. we do not have  100k in the PAC fund.   I also hope all the non members in Utah realize the UOA went to bat for all of optometry and they received a tremendous benefit without being in the association.

Please forward this info to any nonmember you know who asks .. What's in it for me?
john

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home