03 December 2012

2012 Convention

As many of you know I like to use this blog to give the personal rather than the professional view of my Presidency. So here goes.

After being notified by the  Hyatt of the  double booking of our convention space just 10 days prior we had to change the itinerary quite a bit but we pulled it off. The Hyatt did a great job in the end and even comped me a room. Upon check in they upgraded me to a suite and took care of my parking... oh the benefits of being President.

My next surprise came during our Board meeting with AOA Trustee Dr. Andrea Thau, she brought us Black and White cookies from New York City.  Delicious.  After CE concluded Saturday we had a first ever member only legislative reception which was well attended and got rave reviews. (could have been the free food and drink).

Off to dinner,  I must say I learned a lot about Kosher food this weekend. Dr. Thau's  dedication to Optometry is only outdone by her dedication to her faith. We walked to Matsuri Japanese Restaurant in Federal Hill, I was just a bit apprehensive about this place (no forks) however I managed to survive with a quick lesson on chopstick use from Tracie King.  Broadening my horizons I ate Seaweed Salad, Edamame Beans and even a piece of seared Tuna for the first time.

Upon leaving the restaurant I noticed a bunch of Santa's walking around. Turns out it was Drunk Santa night in Federal Hill .. who knew.

 As most of the dinner party headed back to the Hyatt I joined Steve Flemke to find  Murphy's Law in Fell's Point. As you may recall I picked this place after watching the show Bar Rescue and seeing it transformed into a brand new place. Well much to my dismay it went out of business.  Fear not with Steve around , we enjoyed a Guinness and ended up at PBR in Power Plant Live watching many ladies (very few men tried) get thrown from a mechanical bull.

Midnight rang and back to the Hyatt as I had a 7 am wake up call. Sunday was filled with our CE and Annual Meeting.  I only had 2 hiccups during my Presidents Report  and it was a pleasure presenting our annual awards.

A quick exit  (avoiding Ravens traffic) to be home by 5 to coach my son's basketball practice , after which I enjoyed dinner with my family . Exhausted I fell asleep by 8:30pm.  



Talk soon 

John

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home